Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Building your Spirit Squad

March Madness has taken hold of me!  I watch my bracket closely on game days, regularly refreshing my Internet browser to catch the latest scores.  At work, I gather with my fellow "bracketeers" in front of the break room fridge to review our brackets and the standings... and offer some friendly trash talk. I don't even like to watch basketball, but cheering for my team to beat my cubicle mate's team is way more fun than I could have imagined!  Cheerleaders play a vital role in building moral, encouraging and praising success, and spreading spirit among the crowd.

This analogy can be applied to your spiritual life as well.  You can go to church and spend your Sundays and Wednesdays worshiping.  You can read your Bible and do daily devotionals.  You can even blog about your faith!  But it's a whole new ball game when you have a family of spiritual [cheer]leaders and fellow disciples (players) joining you on your journey to the finals. 

If you are struggling as you build your faith or struggling just to find your faith, begin by building yourself up with a spirit squad of disciples.  Disciples will help you with the sin in your life and help keep you on your "A game".  Disciples will keep you sharp by encouraging you to hone your skills on (at church) and off the court (reading your Bible at home, praying, doing devotionals, spending time with God, spending time with other disciples, sharing your faith, etc.).

Ephesians 4:16 [NIV]
From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

1 comment: