Monday, May 27, 2013

Breaking all the rules

Exodus 20: 1-21 [NIV]
"You shall have no other gods before me. You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below... You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.  Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy... Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you. You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. You shall not covet your neighbor's house..."

The Ten Commandments are not the only "commandments" that God gives us in the Bible.  God commands many things of us and it may not always seem like the simple things are ones that we should follow with as much devotion as the Ten Commandments.  However so many people easily bend the rules and choose to not follow God's other commandments for one reason or another.  I am one of those people and I have a very specific commandment that I struggle with.  

In Matthew 6:34, God commands us: "...do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."  This is (so far) my favorite scripture.  My good friend Beth shared this with me to help me get through my struggles with anxiety.  I've always fallen back on the "excuse" that I have anxiety and I can't help the way I feel and react about certain things and situations.  But I can.  I can give it to God and stop worrying... plain and simple.

A very short and sweet communion message from church yesterday really struck home for me.  Do we bend the rules and make excuses for breaking God's other commandments?  Murder?  Stealing?  Do we break these rules with as much lack of conviction as the little ones?  No.  We don't.  So why should we make excuses and break the little ones?  We shouldn't.  And I need to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment