Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Don't save it for a rainy day



It rained today… multiple times.  First it sprayed little droplets straight down to the ground like a leaky kitchen faucet.  The second time it rained, the droplets looked like little water balloons exploding against the cement.  Then came the torrents.  Curtains of rain that washed over the eaves trough and down the windows. 

The rain today was so calming to watch and listen to.  Have you ever wondered why rain is so soothing?  We all know what rain is.  Precipitation.  Water vapor condenses and gravity pulls it to the ground.  That's it... right?

Deuteronomy 32:1-3 [NIV] 
“Listen, you heavens, and I will speak; hear, you earth, the words of my mouth. Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants. I will proclaim the name of the Lord. Oh, praise the greatness of our God!”

I don’t feel like I’m the greatest at deciphering scripture yet, but this passage from Deuteronomy makes me feel like God’s trying to say that we should let his Word rain down on us… saturate our lives fully.  As a new disciple, I’m like a hungry little seedling.  I need sunshine and air (and probably some Miracle-Gro plant food) and lots and lots of rain.  When I’m feeling strong, just a drizzle will keep me upright and blossoming.  But when times are tough and my back begins to bend, I need a flood to wash me clean and give me strength.

So the next time it rains, just curl up with The Good Book and let yourself be soothed and strengthened.

No comments:

Post a Comment